If you have a heating system that is 15+ years old, it is time to think about replacement. The older the system gets, the more inefficient it gets, and the more it will cost to keep it running during the chillier months of the year. Many homeowners want to know what some of the warning signs or indications are that it may be time to consider getting a new unit installed. Take a look at the list below to learn more:
8 Warning Signs
Unit is older than 15 years of age.
Typically, a unit is going to last between 15-20 years and it is in the best interest of the homeowner to get it replaced before it decides to stop working on what feels like the coldest night of the season.
Rising gas or electric bills.
This is an indication that the unit is struggling to keep up with heating demands for the home. If the unit is coming on more often than it should based on the temperature set on the thermostat, then it may be becoming inefficient.
Having repair after repair done.
If you have had to get your system repaired more than once in the past two years, then this is a good indication that your unit is past its prime.
Thermostat is set at a specific temperature, but the home feels much colder or hotter than it should be.
If you have your thermostat set at 74 degrees, but it feels like it’s 90, then this is also another good indication that your heater is in need of replacement.
Burner flame is yellow instead of blue.
Yellow or flickering orange flames indicate that there could be a problem with a carbon monoxide leak or an inefficient unit. It is important to call us ASAP if you notice this problem in your home since carbon monoxide is a DEADLY gas.
Unit is making odd noises when it’s running.
Typically, a heater is going to start having parts that malfunction and wear out as it gets older. You may hear popping, squealing, or rattling sounds coming from your furnace blower when it’s heating your home.
Inhabitants of the home feel sick.
Often times, a system can develop cracks in its heat exchanger as it gets older. When this happens, small traces of carbon monoxide gas can leak out, and this could cause your family to experience a variety of health-related problems, including flu-like symptoms.
House feels dry or dusty.
An old, inefficient furnace won’t be able to keep the air moisturized and clean in your home. When this happens, you may notice that you are suffering from allergies inside the home relating to dust mites, mold, or pollen.